Friday, March 5, 2010

February Progress Reports

It's been a long time since I've given any kind of progress report on my creative writing, but rest assured, I've been quite busy. Despite the hectic running around the came with visiting Disneyworld with my family at Christmas/New Year's and then rushing off the to the Consumer Electronic Showcase in Las Vegas, there was an awful lot of hotel/airport downtime that it turns out I've been using quite productively. Couple this with the fact that I've stopped writing for Spectrum (since I found it increasingly hard to juggle everything with my day job and invariably the last thing I added was the first one to go), which means that I've had a bit more free time.

In addition to continuing to build on existing projects, I made a significant in-road on what was originally intended to be a corporate satire, but it now seems likely to head in a much better direction. I also started some reflections on my work in education - it's work-in-progress title is "Sisyphus In Hell," so I think you can guess where it's headed.
Short Stories:
"Of Light and Darkness" - in revision*
* this is part of my Twilight of the Idle short story series along with"Labellypock", "A Night on the Fronde" and "Out of Time (Ped Xing)"
"How My Uncle Faught The Spanish Civil War" -
1000 words
"Il Brute" -
700 words, a short story about living in Bridgeland

Novel Ideas (and working titles):
A Saturday Afternoon By The Slurpee Machine - 2105 words, growing up in NE Calgary, circa 1990
Games of Chance -
17047 words, quasi-related to the current economic downturn
The Last Days of the Daily Wenzel -
8154 words
Father Borsato di Sangi - notes only, about a priest in small town Alberta, circa 1910,
- 127 words
Mt. Pilatus Calls My Name - notes only, a corporate satire
- 3111 words
Sisyphus In Hell/I Was Misinformed - 2402 words

Good Ideas At The Time (Whole draft novels):
joculatores domini - in revision, a novel about parking attendants and the Calgary Stampede
The Liminal Trip - in revision, backpacking through Europe,

October's Total Word Count:
34646