Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Mid-Month Music Check-Up

July has been dominated by older albums as I've searched for soundtracks for particular writings projects. The 1972 live recording of the Modern Lovers, Precise Modern Lovers Order has been heavy on repeat.

While not from the live recording, here's a Kim Fowley produced demo from the same era:



I also found this cover by Iggy Pop of another song from the Precise Modern Lovers Order set list:



I also finally picked up two early releases by Bad Brains, the Omega Sessions EP and the self-titled full length (with the yellow cover). Then I discover there's a Live DVD from 1982. What's a boy to do?



In addition to these, I happened to be at Diner Deluxe last week while they were playing some Lead Belly, forcing me in a moment of weakness to pick up a best-of anthology.

As for new music, Moby's Wait For Me has provided some moody morning music, while Art Brut vs Satan has offered moments of tongue-in-cheek fun. However the real winners this month are local heroes Woodpigeon's Treasury Library Canada and Sonic Youth's The Eternal.