Friday, July 10, 2009

How To Spend My Summer Vacation

It's summer vacation and the hours role unmercilessly into one another as the days begin to blend. The overall meaninglessness of time makes me an esy candidate for going on pop culture jags. One year it was Hemingway, another it was Gene Kelly. This year, I had originally thought that maybe I would read Proust, since I had picked up a complete set of the new translations a few years back, but then I found out someone over at BlogCritics was planning their own Summer of Proust. Hopefully they'll be more successful than I would since I'm taking a road trip later on, and my reading schedule is kinda busy anyways.

Since I am a big fan of The History of Rome Podcast, having enjoyed it since it's beginning, my next great idea was to take advantage of various mail-order rental companies to watch the BBC's I, Claudius, since that is the time frame currently under discussion. However, the letter-carrying gods being the fickle creatures they are, I have been receiving Deadwood instead, probably because it's Stampede Week. Nevertheless, Al Swearengen is one of the most charming anti-heroes I've come across in awhile, and the description of Deadwood as Shakespeare-in-the-mud is certainly most fitting.

The only problem is, I'm already on Season 2 of Deadwood, so I'm going to need a new idea pretty soon. Suggestions?