Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Words and Music (and Memory)

I've been doing a lot of writing lately. The good old hide in a corner pen and ink variety. Even though what I'm writing is fiction, a lot of it is inspired by ideas or experiences I've had, since Games of Chance has been inspired by my family, and the new novel is set in high school and based in part on my time at the Stampede and CJSW. Further, given that I listen to a lot of music, and listen quite constantly, I'm in the habit of using particular songs as a memory trigger, either because they remind me of a feeling or specific moment, or else I listened to it a lot during the time frame I'm trying to remember.

So yesterday's news that Tom Waits was going to be inducted into the rock n' roll Hall of Fame led to a lot of YouTube video and ultimately, stumbling across this particular Tom Waits tune. I played a lot of Tom Waits while in high school and working in the parking lot. I loved his narratives and characters. I don't remember connecting to any of these songs on an emotional level, but this time, hearing "Tom Traubert's Blues" dredged up a lot of old feelings and memories, particularly about some of the sadder moments I had been trying to figure out for the new novel. Writing those scenes while listening to this song (on repeat I might add), made me so depressed, I couldn't help but wonder if anyone would want to read it when I'm finished.

Hopefully it comes off better to strangers than it does to me.