Thursday, June 25, 2009

June's Reading List

Once upon a time I read a book every three days. I also bought books as often as I bought CDs. I now have a significant quantity of both. CDs at least typically only take an hour to listen to, and I can listen to them while doing other things. Not so much with books. I no longer read a book every three days. Instead I'm doing well if I can read three or four books a month. I also no longer buy books for myself (though I buy them for my wife and her reading tastes are such that I often want to read whatever she's reading eventually), however I am also quite lucky that people give me new books (and CDs) to read for free if I offer to tell them what I think about it. It's a pretty sweet deal with one embarrassing complication.

I have a lot of unread books at my house. These are the books that I bought after my reading time was significantly reduced but before I clued in to the fact that I should stop buying books. I estimate that at my current reading rate, if people suddenly stopped giving me books, I could read a book from my unread book pile for the next four years. Like I said, it's embarrassing and I loan some of these unread books out to people since I can't bring myself to part with them.

Here is June's tally:

Currently reading:
Kaya Oakes - Slanted and Enchanted: The Evolution of Indie Culture (2009)
Gary Small - iBrain: Surviving the Technological Alteration of the Modern Mind (2009)
J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2002) (I'm reading this to my daughter)
J. Lloyd Trump - A School For Everyone (1977)*
Robert T. Kiyosaki, Sharon L. Lechter - Rich Dad, Poor Dad (1997)*
*I'm in no hurry to finish these, but for different reasons

Books Acquired
Kaya Oakes - Slanted and Enchanted: The Evolution of Indie Culture (2009)
Gary Small - iBrain: Surviving the Technological Alteration of the Modern Mind (2009)
Davy Rothbart - Requiem for a Paper Bag (2009)
Aravind Adiga - Between the Assasinations (2009)
Jeb Brugmann - Welcome to the Urban Revolution: How Cities Are Changing the World (2009)

Books Read:
David & Stella Gemmel - Fall of Kings (2008)
Davy Rothbart - Requiem for a Paper Bag (2009)