Saturday, July 3, 2010

June Progress Report

Did I really miss a progress report for May? Hmm...I guess all this soccer is really taking it's toll on things.

May was mostly productive, but the bulk of it was taken up with trying to finish compiling notes from J. Lloyd Trump's A School For Everyone on a education reform project.

I also started a couple of pages for another side project involving my many years at the Stampede. It's a not-quite-ready for prime time idea - I haven't typed anything up yet, so nothing to count for towards the word count, but I'll give more details as they arrive.

Currently, I had an idea regarding Games of Chance that has thrown many things about the novel's potential ending that I'm trying to work out in my end. Towards that end, I've taken to reviewing the early pages for the first time since last fall, in the hopes that it will help me see more clearly how things are developing.

Short Stories:
"Of Light and Darkness" - in revision*
* this is part of my Twilight of the Idle short story series along with"Labellypock", "A Night on the Fronde" and "Out of Time (Ped Xing)"
"How My Uncle Faught The Spanish Civil War" -
1000 words
"Il Brute" -
700 words, a short story about living in Bridgeland

Novel Ideas (and working titles):
A Saturday Afternoon By The Slurpee Machine - 6516 words, growing up in NE Calgary, circa 1990
Games of Chance - 26156
words, quasi-related to the current economic downturn
The Last Days of the Daily Wenzel -
8154 words
Father Borsato di Sangi - notes only, about a priest in small town Alberta, circa 1910,
- 127 words
Mt. Pilatus Calls My Name - notes only, a corporate satire
- 3111 words
Sisyphus In Hell/I Was Misinformed - 2402 words

Good Ideas At The Time (Whole draft novels):
joculatores domini - in revision, a novel about parking attendants and the Calgary Stampede
The Liminal Trip - in revision, backpacking through Europe,

Trump Project: 9039 words

June's Total Word Count:55701