Wednesday, July 7, 2010

How I Helped Defeat Germany In The World Cup

Alright, I accept that my track record in predicting winners during the World Cup has only been so-so (per round accuracy: 67%, 38%, 75%, 50% - yeah, I really took a dive in the second round), but what none of you understand is how I've been quietly undermining my predictions and influencing events.

Evidence:

France v. Uruguay - purchase of Boris beer (made in France) to support France
Result: Draw
England v. USA - purchase of Newcastle Ale
Result: Draw
Italy v. Paraguay - drinking of Italian pinot grigio
Result: Draw
Italy v. New Zealand - drinking of cappuccino
Result: Draw
Chile v. Switzerland - eating of Toblerone
Result: Swiss lose

By this point I was beginning to suspect that something was amiss, so with Italy v. Slovakia in the offing with Italy needing to at least match New Zealand with the prefeable result being an Italian victory and a New Zealand tie, I buy Steinlager, the New Zealand ale. The result: New Zealand ties. Unfortuntaley, some shoddy officiating and lackadaiscal Italian play ends with an Italian loss.

Germany v. England - not really caring who wins, I wear an England T-Shirt AND drink a Newcastle.
Result: England is shellacked and a nation stands stunned.

Netherlands v. Brazil - I make pancakes and realizing in horror what I've done, I (to the horror of my family) spend the rest of the morning pantless and in flip-flops in honour of the Brazillians.
Result: The Dutch win, despite going behind early.

Germany v. Spain - for all my vaunted talk about Spain's destined failure at this World Cup, I buy a case of Beck's.
Result: Germany loses.

What's on tap for the Final? Stella Artois.