Sunday, November 15, 2009

Understanding Your Family

Sometimes it takes awhile to put two and two together.

This past week I've been asked for my Best Albums of the Decade picks, and in the process of compiling my faves, I realized that there's a significant gap in my record collection during 2003-04. I mentioned this to wife and she matter-of-factly declared "d'uh." It took me a moment to realize that she was referring to the birth of our daughter in 2003. With her birth, I took a step back from quite a few things to devote time and energy to her. Collecting records easily went on the back burner.

For someone who studies history and pop culture, there are some surprising gaps in my knowledge, specifically for a lot of mainstream pop events that happened from 1974 to about 1982. As my wife and I watched tv tonight, a Kenny Rogers song appeared in the soundtrack. She groaned, expressing her disapproval of the song. I shrugged and admitted that I didn't know it, musing, "Sometimes I think the seventies never happened in my house." No sooner did I say it, than I suddenly realized why - the seventies were a hectic time for my parents, with the births of my brother and I followed by our move from Vancouver to Calgary. My parents were too busy being parents to indulge in the pop ephemera of the seventies.