Sunday, November 29, 2009

Darlin' Don't You Go And Cut Your Hair


I need a haircut. I've been quite conscious of my hair for some time now as, the longer it gets, the more out of place it seems in my work environment. It's made me think of how often haircuts play an integral role in self-identity in the early stages of cultural movements ultimately result in those movements being reduced to a haircut (perhaps the subject of another post). I'm not sure what kind of cultural signifier my hair qualifies as these days, but as the youngest person in my office by twelve years, it definitely sets me apart.

I plan on cutting my hair soon, but since I need a shorter haircut for Christmas, I'm caught in a kind of barber limbo and have to tough it out for a few more weeks.

As an aside, when I was much younger, this is what my classmates said my hair resembled:


When I got older, it looked more like this:

Now, I feel it growing increasingly unruly, more like:



In a few more days, I will be a different character altogether: