Sunday, October 11, 2009

Psychic Hearts

Maybe it's the dreary weather, but I found some quiet time this morning to finish editting a short story I wrote back in the middle of my undergraduate days. It's called "Psychic Hearts" after the Thurston Moore solo album that came out around that time and pulled heavy duty on my stereo.

Ostensibly, it's a story about what happens on a snow day, one of the worst ever experienced by Calgary, and was inspired by the infamous St. Patrick's Day snowstorm of 1998 that ground everything to a halt (although the temperature did not plunge as much).

Looking back on the story now, it also appears to be as much about being young and hanging out in a city struggling to come out of a recession. I think they were starting to pick up economically even as I wrote this one.

Enjoy.