Saturday, October 3, 2009

Music Update

Man, September has been a busy, busy time. I think I picked up a dozen albums in the last month, which is a lot, even for me. It's a new album every two to three days, which requires a lot of listening. Luckily, I guess, I also spent a lot of time driving across Calgary doing site visits, giving me ample opportunity to listen to a lot of this music.

I stumbled across this Belle & Sebastian side project, God Help The Girl, courtesy of my friends over at Spectrum Culture. It's a kind of concept album, with a story set to music by Stuart Murdoch, who then recruited three amateur vocalists. It's interesting, but I wouldn't go much farther than that.



Speaking of Belle & Sebastian, Spectrum also ran down their recommended playlist for the Scottish group, and I spent a considerable amount of time trying to pick my favourite tracks. The end result? I'm not particularly crazy about Fold Your Hands Child... and I appear to like the "happy" Belle & Sebastian songs.



Speaking of favourites, The Big Pink's A Brief History of Love has been one of my favourites on the year.


I also picked up the Bon Iver Blood Bank Ep.


My friend Dan Vacon, lead singer of the Dudes, released an album under his quieter side-project Dojo Workhorse.



I also picked up the new Grizzly Bear album, which to be honest, really couldn't hold my attention for long.


I also found myself spending some time with Lou Barlow's latest album, Goodnight Unknown:


The new Magnolia Electric Co. album Josephine was something I listened to a fair bit back in August and so picked up the Songs: Ohia album Didn't It Rain on a bit of a whim.

I've also picked up the new Bonnie Prince Billy and Bill Callahan, two highly recommended albums that I hope to listen to more in October. Similarly, Saddle Creek's Orenda Fink has a sophomore album, Ask the Night, that just recently joined my collection.