Wednesday, September 9, 2009

August Music Updates

It appears I'm slightly behind the times in reporting in on August's main musicial interests. Much of the month was spent preparing for Spectrum's Beatles retrospective as well as another upcoming feature that I'll keep secret for now.

At the end of July I acquired the new self-titled Wilco album, as well as the new Magnolia Electric Co. Josephine, providing me with much of my holiday soundtrack, ideally suited to a long drive through the American Mid-West. Unfortuntately, that wasn't really my destination, but Wilco nevertheless managed to provide a pretty stunning soundtrack to the dense mountainous forest of the Pacific Northwest and Josephine fit quite nicely with that long arid patch between Idaho and the inland side of Seattle.

The rest of the month, as I said, was rounded out with some stuff for Spectrum, notably Sudden Death record's archival release of Ottawa's long-defunct The Action, and Still Life Still, a new band from Toronto.

Somewhere in between I also picked up the old Breeders' Cannonball EP and "Cro-Aloha" provided some happy moments of nostalgia.