Friday, August 21, 2009

Day-To-Day Living

Someone laughed about my suggestion that I needed to invent an extra hour or two - I chuckled too, but it got me thinking, how many hours in a day do I need? In a way, I am lucky in that ultimately, I like what I do for a living, even if I feel that aspects of it have been rendered archaic and fundamentally flawed. The problem is that I want to do more than just go to work everyday, but I want to do more in a day, not less.

So ideally I guess, here's a rough break down on how I'd spend my day:

Work: 8 hours
Sleep: 7 hours (sure, they say get 8 - I currently get 6 and acknowledge it's not enough)
Reading: 1 hour
Writing: 1 hour
Listening to music: 1 hour
Physical Activity: 1 hour
Meals (and prep): 2 hours
Family time: 3 hours (playing or reading with my daughter, talking with my wife etc)
Errands: 1 hour
Visiting with friends: 1 hour

Total: 26 hours, assuming I only actually spend eight hours working and don't carry stuff home to work on during the evenings like email. You'll also notice there's no TV watching listed. I don't generally watch a lot of TV, except for certain sporting events like tennis and soccer, so of course that changes things too. Currently I save myself time by basically choosing will I read today? write? workout? or listen to music? Generally though working out comes out last, and I really do not feel that I've accomplished much if I don't engage in some degree of reading or writing each day.