Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Happy Birthday To You

When my wife and I first started dating, I was afraid that we didn't really have much in common. Sure, we grew up on the same side of town, had parents that came from almost identical cultural backgrounds, knew a lot of the same people, went to the same kinds of schools, etc. But really, we didn't like the same kind of music and I worried that this masked deeper aesthetic and political divisions.

It was a great relief then when we discovered that we both liked this song. She, being a fan of Sinatra and musicals, I being a fan of early punk. It turns out she also has a soft spot for Debbie Harry.

The track is from one of the earliest Red Hot & Blue releases and supposedly the video is directed by Alex Cox of Sid & Nancy, Repo Man, and Straight to Hell fame.

Fun trivia: I wanted to include the line "Next July We Collide With Mars" on our wedding invites.