Sunday, January 24, 2010

December/January Bookends

This post's a two-fer, since I missed last month. December however, proved to be highly productive from a reading perspective. Who would have thought that travelling with a six-year old would result in so much reading happening? I've mentioned my thoughts on Hobsbawm earlier, and I've got a little thing on Aladdin that'll appear in a day or two, but Zadie Smith and Nick Hornby I discovered to be two peas in a pod, separated by about fifteen years. Somewhere else I mentioned how fantastic I thought it was that Hornby named his latest collection of articles Shakespeare Wrote For Money. I found it equally heartwarming that he didn't publish his first book until he was 35. Maybe I have a chance.

Books Read
Zadie Smith, Changing My Mind, (2009)
Eric Hobsbawm, On The Edge Of A New Century (2000)
Lance Blomgren, Walkups (2000)
N.J. Dawood (trans.), Aladdin and Other Tales from the Thousand and One Nights, (1956)
Nick Hornby, Fever Pitch, (1992)

Currently Reading
Ho Che Anderson, King: A Comics Biography, The Special Edition, (1993-2002,2009)
David Townsend, Pamela Adams - The Essential Question: A Handbook For School Improvement (2009)
J. Lloyd Trump - A School For Everyone (1977)*
Robert T. Kiyosaki, Sharon L. Lechter - Rich Dad, Poor Dad(1997)*
*I'm in no hurry to finish these, but for different reasons

Books Acquired
Lance Blomgren, Walkups (2000)
Ho Che Anderson, King: A Comics Biography, The Special Edition, (1993-2002,2009)
Mickey Leigh (with Legs McNeil), I Slept With Joey Ramone: A Family Memoir, (2009)
Michael Crichton, Pirate Latitudes,(2009