Wednesday, December 29, 2010

From the Vaults: Bad Ideas and Best Intentions

I found this the other day while unpacking some notebooks. It's a poem, and while there's no date on it, I remember writing it while at Weeds Cafe, a place I only started frequenting in 2006. There's no edits on the page, other than swapping 'best' for 'good' in the title and the removal of 'clear' after 'Blue eyes', so I probably jotted it down over a cup of coffee and promptly forgot about it.


Bad Ideas and Best Intentions
Lines I wish I'd written
Old friends lost and never seen
awash, adrift, away
a melody of damaged goods
blue eyes across a coffee shop
tussled hair leads tussled lives
the half-tucked shirt tails of unfinished plans
laughter, frowns, tears, regrets
stolen moments, cigarettes
a diary of best intentions
a scrapbook of wasted of time
my too-tight t-shirt hugs my shoulders
like the smoke of past deeds caught on my sleeves