Friday, October 8, 2010

Pattern Recognition

In honour of completing the first full draft of my novel, Games of Chance, I celebrated by going and buying a paperback novel for the first time in years. Usually I get most of my books via Fast Forward or handed to me from my wife. When I do buy new books, it tends to be mostly non-fiction works, like the phenomenal Third Teacher. Buying a new paperback was a special treat.

So what did I buy?

I went up and do the aisles quite a bit, but ultimately chose William Gibson's 2005 Pattern Recognition. I quite enjoyed it's sequel, Spook Country, and especially the chance to interview Gibson about the book. There was a way that Spook Country conceptualized information-as-commodity that I found really intriguing. In Pattern Recognition it appears that part of the focus is on the relationship we share in the construction of meaning.

BTW, Gibson has a new book out, continuing to explore the ground laid out in these earlier two. It's called Zero History and Fast Forward has an interview (by someone else) here. At my current pace, I'll be reading it in 2015.